Monday, March 5, 2007

Replacing my Northbridge fan


I knew I needed to replace my Northbridge fan on my mobo, it was getting very loud. But today, I noticed that the fan was quiet for once... I checked, and, of course, the fan was dead.


So, once my game download completed, I shut down, unplugged and opened it up on the kitchen table. My first task was to remove the old fan. It's held on by two plastic pushpins. The only way to get it out is to break the pins off or take out the mobo (and all that goes with that long job) and pop the pins out that way. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it so I just broke the pins with my trusty needle-nosed pliers. One of the pins is in the picture above.


After that, I popped in the new Northbridge fan and plugged in the connector. I closed it up, plugged it all back in, and booted it up. Back to my quiet PC experience at last!

No comments: